I saw this poem on a subway, before i gave birth and i saw it again today, so had to share it. I like it's quality of inevitability of aging and growing, with the passing of time.
A Little Tooth
by Thomas Lux
Your baby grows a tooth, then two,
and four, and five, then she wants some meat
directly from the bone. It's all
over: she'll learn some words, she'll fall
in love with cretins, dolts, a sweet
talker on his way to jail. And you,
your wife, get old, flyblown, and rue
nothing. You did, you loved, your feet
are sore. It's dusk. Your daughter's tall.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
The Double Life Of Bobby, Baby, Blossom, Biju And Shaji Lost causes, alcoholism, eve-teasing, world politics, parochialism. Is there no end ...
-
Sheela Reddy profiles historian Upinder Singh in Outlook. I like the idea of visiting ancient sites while writing about them. Also I did no...
-
I just finished reading this very depressing book. Kite Runner dealt with fathers and sons, this book deals with mothers and daughters. Here...
No comments:
Post a Comment