A wonderful 18 minute movie by Paromita Vohra. The movie looks for who and what the Sandra from Bandra was, the Christian Woman in an Indian context. Great interviews and footage of Bombay, along with Hindi song tracks. Thanks Amitava for the link.
I searched for a way to explore the stereotype of Christians more gently - through the aspects of fantasy that exist in the idea of the sexy, supposedly available but actually unattainable Christian woman. I've tried to stay away from dismantling stereotypes in the film, tending instead to create my own notion of this figure by taking my own and others' ideas of Sandra, and weaving in Bollywood imagery and interviews with women actually named Sandra living in Bandra.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
The Double Life Of Bobby, Baby, Blossom, Biju And Shaji Lost causes, alcoholism, eve-teasing, world politics, parochialism. Is there no end ...
-
Sheela Reddy profiles historian Upinder Singh in Outlook. I like the idea of visiting ancient sites while writing about them. Also I did no...
-
I just finished reading this very depressing book. Kite Runner dealt with fathers and sons, this book deals with mothers and daughters. Here...
1 comment:
http://bandrabuggers.blogspot.com/
Hi Amba!
Am writing a Bandra based blog and am a novice at blogging. Would aprreciate it if you could chk out my blog and post me a comment
rgds
BandraBugger
Post a Comment