Lawyers attacked for defending detainees

Alternet has an interesting piece on Lawyers that are being attacked by the pentagon for defending Guantanamo detainees.

Bush's attack on lawyers is the latest assault on our civil liberties, which now includes warrantless surveillance of our phone calls and email, and most recently, our U.S. Mail. Although Bush says he's spying on the terrorists, those who criticize his policies, including his illegal and immoral war on Iraq, are also invariably in his cross hairs.

All Americans should heed the words of Martin Niemoller: "First they came for the Communists, but I was not a Communist, so I said nothing. Then they came for the Social Democrats, but I was not a Social Democrat, so I did nothing. Then came the trade unionists, but I was not a trade unionist. And then they came for the Jews, but I was not a Jew, so I did little. Then when they came for me, there was no one left who could stand up for me."

George W. Bush must immediately renounce Stimson's threats and relieve him of his duties. A country that would sacrifice its own values under the guise of protecting them has no moral authority in this world.

Comments

Unknown said…
Named one of my sons (twin boys) after John Adams...he defended British soldiers, assured they were provided with due process, and the hoopleheads never liked that either.

This isn't anything different. I'm linking to your site which I like very much. Perhaps you could do the same. I've got a list up on my site, and several items pertain to Guantanamo, some little known facts:

http://deadissue.com/archives/2007/01/17/iphone/

Popular posts from this blog

Justice at last