death

Moving piece by Uma Krishnaswami on wanting to be the Karta in her father's death ceremony.

V. Krishna Swami, 1925-2010. Go in peace.
At 7:20 pm on January 26, I lost my father, or perhaps he found his way. He slipped away while my mother and I held his hand, stroked his forehead, and talked to him, all the way to the end. I'm blessed that he held on until I got to his bedside. I'm blessed that he was a part of my life. He leaves a hole in my heart that nothing will ever quite fill.

I think Appa would approve, in his own quiet way, of my decision and my mother's--that I, his only child, should perform the last ceremonial rituals for him that a son would have carried out, if he'd had one. It was not an easy choice. I realize that for many, including some in our extended family, it was a shocking choice. I didn't aim to shock, only to do what seemed obviously, to me anyway, my job and mine alone.

I will not describe the ceremony itself. That emotional space is not for public viewing. But I will say that halfway through, under a clouding sky with raindrops coming down like needles, I experienced a stunning clarity, perhaps from some intersection of fasting and focus. I realized that because of the generosity of priests who were willing to bend the orthodox rules, friends and family who helped with time and resources and footwork--so much footwork for one very long day--and above all because of womenwho led the way, I could touch a small piece of a tradition thousands of years old that perhaps was once open to women but for much of its history has not remained so. I believe that can change. I believe it must.

Because all rivers flow to the sea and in the end there is only the stardust of which we are all made.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justice at last