Chiquita gives birth

Chiquita gives birth

Chiquita was my beautiful black Labrador, she and Raziya were Badshah and Bijli’s last litter. My parents had got Badshah and Biji soon after their marriage, and we grew up with both of them and their numerous puppies. They were both black labs and were gentle, loving and caring to me and my brother and lots of our cousins.

When I was eleven and sleeping in my bedroom, I felt a warm feeling seeping into my mattress. Chiquita had decided to break her water on my bed. I saw Chiquita moving around uncomfortably and whelping with pain. I looked at my feet, and nearby lying in an amniotic sac was a puppy. I carefully picked up the puppy and took it to it's birthing center, which was in the bathroom, in a box with hay and blankets to keep Chiquita and her puppies warm. Soon Chiquita popped out five more puppies, and was licking the membrane and the puppies. This membrane must be ruptured so that the puppy can breathe. Her puppies were adorable, tiny, helpless, jet black, with their eyes closed and soft downy black hair. They could crawl and make moaning sounds soon after birth. They mostly drank milk or slept.

I gave her some milk and water and tried to go back to sleep. But what was happening in front of my eyes was so fascinating that it was hard to sleep. So I went to the bathroom and sat with her while she licked her babies and soon with their eyes closed they were breathing and looking for her breasts. Some of the tenacious ones found her breasts easily. The weaker ones were searching and not being able to locate them, so I picked them up and pushed their mouth to her breasts. They took some time to latch on. But soon most of her breasts were occupied with six puppies vigorously suckling milk that was flowing out of her.

My immediate family was ok to be around Chiquita and her babies. But the moment a person she did not know, came into the room, she began to growl and let them know they were not welcome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justice at last